Saturday, August 22, 2009

WHO vs. Kruger...Any thoughts?

First I'd like to say thanks for all your comments..I knew I would find a world of support here. I'm keeping our upcoming ivf from everyone in the family, but my little brother. I would love to tell my mom, but I know it would just cause me to stress more than I already do..too many questions...too many worries, I need to be as stress free as possible because I don't think we can afford a second cycle.

Now, on to other things...My dh went for his first SA in about 02/08, the urologist used WHO method. It came back low on motility, count, and morphology, we weren't that concered, as dh had trouble finding the place so the sample may have been too old. On the second one, at the same urologist, it came back as only slightly below on morph and forward progression motility, the urologist still said it was normal.

On to the RE...we did two SAs at this clinic using Kruger. They both came back with low motility, the worst one being 0%FF and 13%SF, and a morphology of 0% Dx: Severe asthenoteratozoospermia.

Now going to a new clinic, and a much better one I might add, the dr. tells us that he doubts dh has 0% morph, that the other clinic is more strict in thier critera. He still says we have about a 4% chance with IUI...(been there, done that, not doing it again). So IVF with ICSI it is.

Now in the meantime, last Friday dh had an appointment with a new urologist that specializes in fertility, also uses the WHO. DH had a great count, motility, and morph, and the sample was over an hour old...(I hope it is the Fertility blend and pyconogel he has been on for the last two months). It was the best one we've seen, so even the Kruger has to be improved, I pray! Dr. says he would dx us as unexplained and might be antisperm antibodies and drew blood to test for it...Although, thes wouldn't matter when doing IVF/ICSI.

I know the Kruger is meant for IVF and is much more strutenizing, but what I wonder is if he is normal on a WHO SA, does this mean our chances for a successful ivf are pretty good?

I know I'm trying to find answers that aren't there until it's said and done because everyone is different, but I am trying to be as positive as possible to help increase our chances, but the more positive I am, the harder I fall when AF rears her ugly head. If I start out pessamistic, then I won't hurt "as much" when it doesn't work. I don't want to do that this cycle, because it has to work! I will only say when and not if.

Are there any ladies out there that have a similar situation that have gone through IVF/ICSI? Did you have a lot of embryos fertilize and keep growing, enough to freeze? I would love to know, Any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. They seriously called you for just to see if you had any questions?

    I'm jealous! They actually kinda irritated me today lol... so I had to call in cause AF showed so while I had them on the phone I asked if we have any news on the grant because I haven't heard anything back..... after being put on hold the lady tells me that they are missing a paper and are waiting for me to bring it in in order to submit it.... WHAT??!!? I told her I handed that paper in (the one that states your insurance won't cover IVF).... apparently they lost it... ok, so WHY wasn't I called to ask where the paper is or remind me or whatever?! I am seriously 10 minutes away so I could have brought another copy in!!! I was so peeved!!! I ran the paper up and will definately be checking up to make sure the paperwork is submitted this time.... Bonnie said they will let me know on friday when I go in (the grant info).

    I will keep my fingures crossed that you get AF on time!!! Hopefully next week you will be going in for your b/w and u/s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was under the same understanding.... copy of drivers licence and 1040 tax forms. They had called and got the insurance information. When I checked the status of the grant I was told they needed it from the insurace company.... I even told the lady then that I was told I didnt need anything else because someone had called and she said they need the actual paper from the insurance.... if you have your handbook it usually states it in there and they can just photocopy your book. Otherwise your insurance company can fax over a letter.

    You will have to let me know what they say when you call them!! It will be intresting to see what they say!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcoming you from LFCA. We have MFI and IVF ICSI was the best choice for us. I don't know my husband's numbers anymore. We too have been married 6 years and ttc the entire time. We adopted a little boy in the mean time and are very happy. But we continue to try naturally for a pregnancy. If it happens, it happens. Looking forward to reading your blog and good luck with your procedure.
    Check out my blog and non profit if you get a chance. www.parenthoodforme.org
    We always need help spreading the word.
    Erica

    ReplyDelete